Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Nostalgia Mania Part 8: Welcome Community Home [18-7-2009]

I am on the verge of starting Dominique Kee Photography's social outreach arm very soon. I've just been so very busy, it's ridiculous.

This is another interesting set from some time ago. It actually started because I wanted to join a photo competition. The theme (if I remember correctly) was something to do with social causes. One of the ideas I got was to shoot the Welcome Community Home in Batu Arang. This Home is a drug rehab centre, but it's not like a prison or anything like that. In fact, all patients in the Home are there on their own free will. I learned about it when years ago, our legendary carolling group sang for the patients as well as to donated some money. I thought the Home would give me powerful pictures since it was formerly a colonial house which the locals aptly named - "The White House."

When I arrived, I was in for a surprise. I expected a derelict building, but instead I found that the Home has since undergone a facelift. With new paint, new surroundings, and even (horrors!) a new plaster ceiling! That last bit kinda killed me since I was big fan of the colonial high ceiling it used to have. Anyways, I still wandered around, trying to make the best of my photos. Eventually, I came up with these photos.

Oh, and I'm actually due to to return to the Welcome Community Home as the first stop of my social outreach project. Stay tuned for any updates.













For those of you who are interested in viewing the other photos of the Nostalgia Mania Series, please click on the links below!

Part 1: Starting Out In Photography
http://dominiquekeephotography.blogspot.com/2010/09/nostalgia-mania-part-1-starting-out-in.html

Part 2: Moving On To Better Things
http://dominiquekeephotography.blogspot.com/2010/10/nostalgia-mania-part-2-moving-on-to.html

Part 3: Introducing the Lovely Azzura
http://dominiquekeephotography.blogspot.com/2010/11/nostalgia-mania-part-3-introducing.html

Part 4: The Birds of Kuala Lumpur
http://dominiquekeephotography.blogspot.com/2010/12/nostalgia-mania-part-4-birds-of-kuala.html

Part 5: Chinese New Year February 2010
http://dominiquekeephotography.blogspot.com/2011/02/nostalgia-mania-part-5-chinese-new-year.html

Part 6: Aquaria
http://dominiquekeephotography.blogspot.com/2011/05/nostalgia-mania-part-6-aquaria-28-11.html

Part 7: Krabi


For those of you who like statistics:
Vital Stats for July: 9 post 350 pics
Vital Stats So Far: 94 posts 3,701 pics

Disclaimer: The views published in the above photoblog are the author's and the author's alone. If readers are not agreeable with the above views, well, you can bugger-off. All rights are reserved for the photos and the article itself. This article may be reproduced with permission of the author for private or public usage, or other forms of general mayhem. Any unauthorized usage of the images or articles contained therein is expressly prohibited and violators will be prosecuted with the full force of Malaysian law applicable. Thank you for reading this disclaimer.

No comments:

Post a Comment